Friday, January 25, 2008

I am a Latin Sta( j )ion

Aw man, guess who´s super sore from the hike? Yup. I can hardly walk, I wobble around and there are many little hills in this little town.

Tonight we leave for Porte Madryn. It will be a 16 hour bus ride towards the east coast of Argentina. I´m not sure what it will be like at all, and am looking forward towards the unknown, yet sad about leaving Bariloche because I love it so much.

Last night we had a BBQ on the balcony of the Hostel. Juanny Depp BBQ´d Chorizos and we had Choripan. It was delicious. I´m trying to not eat meat right now, but I couldn´t resist, so now I am going to try to go 3 days at a time, have a little bite of meat, and then go another 3 days or so. It´s difficult to do this in a country that considers vegetarianism as someone who doesn´t eat beef.

I´ve also noticed that this country is obsessed with Jamon. They will put Jamon into anything and everything. On the bus they serve Jamon and Queso sandwiches, then have a slice of Jamon on the side with queso, and then have jamon in the rice, and then have jamon in the salad. There are billboards advertising thick slabs of jamon, and at restaurants they will serve appetizers with the choice of seven different kinds of jamon. They put jamon into raviolis, sauces, pizzas, and probably chocolate. I actually haven´t seen that, but I wouldn´t be surprised.

We´ve had a lot of down time here, just lounging and hanging out, going swimming in the lake, going shopping, and eating. It´s been a vacation from our vacation. I´ve purchased some lama leg warmers (YES!) and am very excited to sport them back in SF when the weather is cold, or maybe even in Tahoe.

The title on this blog is a tribute to our hostel host Juanny Depp. He says many funny things, and once described himself as a Latin Stajion, I guess he meant to say Stallion, but in Argentina, they pronounce ¨ll¨ as ¨j¨

1 comment:

iamsue said...

i like how often ham was in this entry. juanny depp sounds dreamy and i can't wait to see your llama legs!