Monday, January 21, 2008

So guess what...

our little cabin turned out to be 100 US Dollars, not pesos, and cost us a lot more than we thought it was going to. Azure was really upset, and did a lot of the talking to the man who we spoke to yesterday about the prices. A lot of what was going on was lost in translation to me, and i started to realize how much we, as humans, are affected by words. Since I couldn´t really understand what he was saying, the whole thing didn´t really offend me much, except for the fact that he really should have clarified that it was in US Dollars. It was really deceiving, and i felt really bad, because part of it was my fault, I should have clarified it 100%, but at the same time, we continued to say, really?!!! 100?!!!! 100, really? It seems at that point, if I were him, I would say, well it´s in US dollars you know. No one really quotes in US dollars here, and it was odd that he did. I had a gut feeling that it was too good to be true, and it was. It was a really stupid mistake, and seems so obvious when you look back on it, but when you´re in the moment, things can get carried away. It was a hard lesson to learn, but in the scheme of all things, it could have been worse.

We are back in Bariloche at a great hostel on the 10th floor of a building. Our room has a view of the lake, and costs 120 Pesos, (don´t worry, we were sure to clear that up before we paid anything) We are going to stay at this hostel for 3 nights, which will be a huge luxury, since we have been staying in a different place since we got into Bariloche, and I am looking forward to sleeping in and not having to worry about where I am going to sleep at night.

It´s been over a month since I have been living out of my backpack, and it feels great. Neccessaties have become accessories, I have cleansed myself of a lot of junk, but I am definitely aquiring a few more pieces here and there. It´s nice to be able to live as simply as we do, wear the same outfits, get dirty, take a shower and feel like a new person, or have a nice bed to sleep on. These are all things that I have taken for granted in the U.S. and have a new view on now that I have been hopping from place to place almost every night. Shelter in general is always great, a nice welcome and hospitable people are always icing on the cake.

3 comments:

Jade said...

Aww man that hostel tricked you, bummer!

I agree about backpacking - it's hard to strip down to the necessities before the trip begins. But you find that it is so much easier to move around while traveling.

Keep up the posting! I love reading your thoughts!

ready said...

Don't let it get you down Auts! Sometimes you find the deal of the decade, sometimes not. If you find yourself getting upset, maybe you should practice chanting a mantra, "I will name my firstborn Cori Ready, I will name my firstborn Cori Ready", or some such inspirational thing.

Phil Matarese said...

Las Mentiras!

that's lame about being tricked.

keep up the blogging, blog maven.