Monday, February 11, 2008

Ridin' Dirty

The bus rides down here haven't been so great. The Brazilian buses are designed differently than the Argentinian buses and only have one level. We were trying to get out of Porto Alegre into Florianopolis and could only find seats on one bus that had three seats left. My seat was located directly across the bathroom. GREAT. Trying not to think about it too much I sat down and admired the lush green fields of banana plants, trees, and animals. The scenery on the way up to Florianopolis was extremely pretty and made the bus ride a little more tolerable.

In the middle of the bus ride a man went to the bathroom. He didn't close the door all the way, and while he was going to the bathroom, the door flung open. We were on a really bumpy road, and the door continued to swing back and forth. He was sitting down on the toilet and couldn't catch the door right away. I really didn't know what to do at that point. I mean, I know that I should have just closed the door for him, but that would have involved me looking directly at him, and I didn't want to do that, so I just stared straight ahead. I was so uncomfortable. A few seconds later, he was able to close the door, finished his business and went back to his seat. About an hour later, the three year old girl sitting in front of me started throwing up ON the aisle next to my feet. I didn't really understand why her mom didn't use a bag for her to vomit into. The aisle in front of me was covered with vomit and that happened twice. The second time the mom passively wiped the floor with a plastic bag that she could have used for the little girl to directly vomit into. I looked at my watch and noticed that there were only 4 more hours left of the bus ride. Yes!

Then, towards the end of the bus ride we were stuck in traffic that made us 2.5 hours late. There were two teens sitting across from me who were continually playing "Ridin Dirty" by Chamillionaire on their telepone speakers. Looking back, I find this very humorous because I was, in a way, "ridin dirty."

2 comments:

Jade said...

A dirty bus incident happened to us, too - while Eric and I were in Chile! Some kid puked all over her seat on the bus before we boarded. From Santiago to San Pedro de Atacama, the memories of that overnight bus ride recall the smell of vomit, yuck!

I feel for you!

Amy Sung said...

ahahahahaha - that's so funny. sucky, but funny. I can see you just looking straight ahead while the man was sitting on the toilet, looking at you.