Monday, March 23, 2009

German Chocolate Cake

Last night was my dad's chinese birthday. I say "chinese" because he goes by the chinese calendar, which always confuses me and is never the same date every year. I guess I can just reference a chinese calendar every year, but sometimes he will also celebrate his american birthday. So I never really know when to expect a birthday celebration until the day before, when he declares it's going to be his birthday the next day.

This year I decided to bake him his favorite cake. German Chocolate. My dad is definitely the kind of person who likes to stick to the same things, so it wasn't a surprise when he said he wanted to get a German Chocolate cake.

This was my first double layered cake that I've ever made. It was pretty easy, but it definitely doesn't have that pretty cake look to it. However, it sure was tasty!

Breaking up some chocolate



Making the topping





German Chocolate Cake!



2 comments:

iamsue said...

Looks delicious. Your dad is adorable. Does he ever celebrate both his Chinese and American birthdays in one year? That would be a scam but also adorable.

amy said...

mmmm...those chocolate chunks look intense. good job!