Monday, June 28, 2010

new j.o.b.

hi! I got a new job! I'm going to be working for a farm on Vashon Island called Sea Breeze Farm. They raise their own animals and also have a restaurant in town. I will be the chef's assistant, butcher's assistant and learn about charcuterie, cheese making, wine making, sausage making, and cured meats! I'm going to learn so much! I'm so excited, scared, happy, nervous, pumped, inspired.

I really believe this is a step in the right direction for me. It's an extremely small farm with ten people working there total, and the restaurant is completely grass roots. Everyone loves working there, you can feel it when you're there, and you can see it from the products they make. They are beyond organic, they practice the system of grazing each different type of animal behind the other in order to maximize a fertile environment. They treat their animals so well, and because of that the products come out phenomenal.

For my interview I helped make head cheese and pate with the chef. Then I cut up a pigs head for guanciale (cured pig cheek) with the butcher. It was amazing, and I learned so much in just that one day. Just gaining the knowledge about butchery seems like an important life skill to me, plus my knife skill will get pretty precise. I want to be able to look at a piece of meat one day and say, that's whatever it is, and it's really great quality, or vice versa. I also want to be able to cook an amazing meal for 25 of my favorite people one night, like it ain't no thang, and I think I will be able to after I start working and learning about the art of farm to table.

AHHHHH I'm so excited!

Check them out here:
http://www.seabreezefarm.net

Plus everyday at work we eat lunch together, just something that the chef whips up from the restaurant and we sit outside on the deck and enjoy our meal together. It's so dreamy!

1 comment:

AfterMathew said...

autsy, this is so awesome. I'm so happy for you and really excited to visit you SOON. :-). INSPIRING.