Sunday, December 9, 2007

Turtles are my best friend

When I went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay I was really excited at the potential of seeing sea turtles. That didn't happen.

BUT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was swimming on my boogie board at Waikiki beach and saw what looked like debris. Taking a closer look, I thought it was a rock, AND THEN I noticed that it was moving, AND THEN I noticed it was a SEA TURTLE!!!! He was ginormous, {at least 2 feet in diameter} and about 5 feet away from me. He came up for air right in front of me, so close, that I could hear it spout out water and inhale air. His head was half the size of my head. It was exciting and scary at the same time. I was not expecting such as siting in such a commercialized location, but I'm sure glad it happened! Fluttering back, I tried to get my Dad out to look for him again, but we couldn't find him. Oh well. I hope my turtle friend is doing well out there.

2 comments:

Amy Sung said...

AHHHH! I missed it!

That must have been what I saw when we were swimming and I told you that I saw something when I was swimming out to you and it looked like the size of a dead body's head! I told you I saw something! I was too scared to investigate further though. haha.

Too bad you didn't get a picture of it...at least you saw one!

Joan said...

Hey Jen: well I guess there's no doubt that you enjoyed your Hawaii trip. I was hoping you would and I hope the timeshare was to your satisfaction.

Joan